Rothesay Canada
Rothesay Netherwood School

Thank you for considering Rothesay Netherwood School.


OUR HISTORY AND HERITAGE Rothesay Netherwood School began in 1877 as Thompson's School, located upstairs in Whelpley Hall near the Rothesay train station. James F. Robertson purchased Thompson's School in 1891, renamed it Rothesay Collegiate School, and moved it to its present location. In 1907, the school was formally taken over by the Synod of the Diocese of Fredericton, and Rev. W.R. Hibbard was appointed headmaster in 1908. Dr. Hibbard was succeeded by Dr. C.H. Bonnycastle in 1938. While Dr. Bonnycastle served overseas during World War II, the school was run by his assistant, Dr. J.F.L. Jackson. In 1963, the school became incorporated and was leased to an independent Board of Governors. Following Dr. Bonnycastle's retirement in 1970, a series of five headmasters presided over the school during the next 17 years. In September 1987, Paul Kitchen became Head of School, a post he held for 29 years. In 2016, Paul McLellan became Head of School. Girls were enrolled at RCS until the school moved up the Hill in 1891. Netherwood School for Girls was founded in 1894 by Miss M. Gregory, who was succeeded in 1895 by her aunt, Mrs. J. Armstrong. In 1903, Miss E. Pitcher became Principal, and in 1912 Dr. S.B. Ganong purchased the school and led it until her retirement in 1944. Dr. Ganong was succeeded by Miss H. Cannell, Miss E. Palin, and Mrs. M. Crimmins. Several other headmistresses led the school for shorter periods of time. Thanks to the hard work of Jack Hickman '42 and many supporters of the school, the Call to Excellence Campaign (1984-1991) raised $1.2 million. In the last 15 years, the campus has seen significant transformation. The layout of the grounds has been enhanced: gates to the campus, new roadways, new paths and the planting of several hundred trees. Under the leadership of Jack Hickman '42 and Jim Irving '46, the highly successful Building for the Next Century Campaign (1995-1996) resulted in several new buildings being added to the campus, while many more received renovation. In June 2002, Kirk House, the junior boys' residence, opened its doors. Collegiate Hall, opened in May 2005, houses the school's Administrative Offices, the Alumni Room, classroom space, a meeting room, and faculty work areas. In October 2006, the junior girls' residence, Netherwood House, was opened. South House, the oldest building on campus houses administrative offices and faculty work rooms. Our state-of-the-art dining hall, Heritage Hall, was opened in 2009. During the summer of 2010, our senior boys' residence, Mackay House, was completely renovated and our school library was moved to Fawcett Hall. The summer of 2013 saw the opening of the newly constructed Kitchen House, the Head of School's residence; while the following summer (2014) saw the completion of the Jordan Boyd Memorial Pond and the Sunken Garden. Later that year in December, a expansion to the school's rink was completed and the building was named in honour of Dr. C.H. Bonnycastle and the 4000-square foot Roslyn Isobel Stollery Fitness Centre, attached to the arena, was opened in May 2018.

  • Day school tuition N/A - $15386 USD
  • Grades for day school 6th Grade/Year 7 -
    12th Grade/Year 13
  • Year founded 1877
  • Boarding school tuition N/A - $26937 USD
  • Grades for boarding school 6th Grade/Year 7 -
    12th Grade/Year 13
  • Curricula IB Diploma
  • Type Co-ed

Admissions Information

  • First application deadline Rolling
  • Second application deadline Rolling
  • Application fee (domestic) $71 USD
  • Application fee (international) $142 USD


  • Assigns homework Yes
  • Use of technology in the classroom Yes
  • Language of instruction English
  • Native English teachers Yes

School Life

  • Most common nationality CA
  • Average class size 16

Living Accommodations

MACKAY HOUSE Our senior boys' residence. There are 24 double rooms and three single rooms on three floors. QUINN HOUSE Our senior girls' residence. There are 25 double rooms on three floors. KIRK HOUSE Our junior boys' residence. There are 15 double rooms, each with its own private washroom, on two floors. NETHERWOOD HOUSE Our our junior girls' residence. There are 9 double rooms, each with their own private washroom, on two floors.

Sports Teams

Badminton, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Field Hockey, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Rock Climbing, Rugby, Snowboarding, Soccer, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball